Macabea has just moved to the big city after her aunt, who raised her, died. She gets a job as a typist and moves into a boarding house with three other women. In her spare time she listens to time Radio Station; on Sundays she likes to ride the subways. She describes herself saying, "I am a typist and a virgin, and I like Coca-Cola." Then she meets Olimpico, a north-easterner like herself, who has dreams of becoming a Congressman.
Marcelia Cartaxo,José Dumont, Tamara Taxman
- Directed by: Suzana Amaral
- Written by: Suzana Amaral, based on the book by Clarice Lispector
- Producer: Assunção Hernandes
- Cinematography: Edgar Moura
- Edition: Idê Lacreta
- Music: Marcus Vinícius
- Berlin Film Festival 1986 - Silver Bear for Best Actress - Marcélia Cartaxo, OCIC Award, C.I.C.A.E.
- Havana Festival 1986 - Grand Coral - First Prize
- Brasília Festival 1985 - Best Film, Best Direction - Suzana Amaral, Best Actor - José Dumont, Best Actress - Marcélia Cartaxo, Best Photography
- SESC Film Festival 1987 - Critics Award - Best Film