January 2019. Filmmaker Karim Aïnouz decides to take a boat, cross the Mediterranean and embark on his first journey to Algeria. Accompanied by the memory of his mother, Iracema, and his camera, Aïnouz gives us a detailed account of the journey to his father's homeland; from the sea crossing to his arrival in the Atlas Mountains in Kabylia —a mountainous region in northern Algeria— to his return. The film interweaves the present, past and future.
Presented at Cannes Film Festival.
- Directed by: Karim Ainouz
- Screenplay: Murilo Hauser, Karim Aïnouz
- Photography: Juan Sarmiento
- Editing: Ricardo Saraiva, Alice Dalgalarrondo
- Music: Benedikt Schiefer
- Production: Walter Salles, João Moreira Salles, Maria Carlota Bruno
- Production Companies: VideoFilmes, MPM Film, Big Sister, Flammable Cinema
- Cannes Film Festival 2021
- Athens International Film Festival 2021
- Gijón International Film Festival 2021